Sunday, April 09, 2006

'Tis the Season for Baseball...and Hockey

Ok, before you read any further...if you are in my immediate family or you have known me and Mallory for some time now(pretty much all you Paris folk), then go to Mallory's blog right NOW. I mean it. Go HERE. All your premonitions over the years have finally been verified. Just read. You'll know what I mean. Totally hilarious...

It's been a week since the last post, so let's see what has happened...

Our amazing intramural soccer run has ended. I wish I could have had a say in the outcome of our last game, but unfortunately I had a prior engagement: hockey. Our soccer game was scheduled for Sunday at 6, and my hockey game that day was scheduled for 5. Normally our hockey games are about an hour long, so I thought I would at least be able to make the second half of the soccer game, but it wasn't going to happen. Sunday turned out to be one of the hottest days here so far this year, and we had to use all of our timeouts to recover from the heat. The breaks were more for me and the other goalie, as having another layer of pads and equpipment on really intensifies the heat. The game time ended being closer to 2 hours; there was no way I was going to make the soccer game. We lost 12-11 in hockey, which sucks. My GAA is usually around 5-6ish, so you can see that this was a massive departure from my norm. I usually don't care about GAA and other stats and usually just focus on one: wins. Unfortunately, I didn't get the W that day. Nevertheless, we ended up 2nd in the regular season. Our first game of the playoffs is tomorrow at 5pm, and we're going to have the #1 leading scorer in SIHL history back playing for us. I'm optimistic and anxious. I need another Sewell Cup on my shelf :)

My soccer boys were just as unlucky; they lost 6-2 that day. I was so bummed that I wasn't able to help them. From what I hear, Kyle did a great job in goal, so I can just assume that the other team was just very good. Oh well, we've improved each year. Maybe next year we bring home the intramural championship.

Of course, the end of one sport means the beginning of another. This Wednesday we(Trevor, Aaron, and I) started intramural softball. We joined a team from which we knew no one; our only connection to them was through Trevor's co-worker, BJ. Despite the anonymonity, we quickly befriended the team. With their new additions, they had too many players, so we had to switch midway through the game. I started in left field while Trevor manned the 3rd-base coaching position. I didn't have any put-outs or assists, but I did field the ball twice. I was much more productive at the plate. I went 1-2 with 2 RBI and a double. I was pretty satisfied considering the last time I played baseball/softball competitively was about 6 years ago. Trevor and I switched roles around the 4th inning. He did just as well. We won the game 10-4. We're looking to repeat that result this Wednesday.

Speaking of baseball, the MLB season has officially started. My Sox are 4-1, and they lead the AL East with the Yanks trailing 3 games in last place. I know I know. It's early, but it's never too early to rub it in the Yankees' faces :)

The NHL playoffs are quickly approaching. My Avs, who were battling for first place in the Northwest Division about a week ago, are now struggling to just make the playoffs. It's looking like 5-6th place will be where the stand when the tournament starts. When it actually does, I'll give my Stanley Cup predictions. I will say this: I'm scared of the Wings right now. They've won a record number of road games, and they are just blazin'. Screw you, Richard, haha. I know you are loving this. Even your Pistons are doing well!! Detroit needs to start having crappy teams!! Hell, even the TIGERS are undefeated in baseball!! What's the deal!? I think steroids are the answer :)

Over the past few weeks I've tried to maintain a relatively regular workout schedule, and for the most part I have kept to it. I'm feeling great. Nothing near what I felt like around last summer, but I'm getting there. I really enjoy running now. I can only attribute that to my kick-ass mp3 lineup of running music. There's no problem with getting motivated; I just pop on the headphones and I'm good to go. I even can run 3.0 miles now without any trouble at all. That's a HUGE improvement over my high school years, haha.

I'm excited about next week. Not only is it a short week(Easter weekend), but I have NO tests or assignments due. I haven't had that feeling in awhile. I'm ready to actually do fun things during the week. We didn't get a chance to play volleyball this weekend due to the bad weather, so hopefully we'll get a chance this week. We even have more sun to play with during the day due to Daylight Savings last week.

I just finished filing my taxes yesterday. I was rather elated to find out that I had a HUGE tax return on my wages from last year's co-op tours. It was a ginormous number. Unfortunately, I realized that Mississippi has an income tax, so I lose pretty much all of that refund due to the money I have to pay the state. Damn you Mississippi. I didn't have this problem in Tennessee. No income tax there. Grrr...

Well, it's looking like everyone is crashing here tonight, so I should probably close my laptop to give them some darkness to sleep in. Wish me luck on our first hockey playoff game tomorrow!

-Henry

No comments: