Friday, March 31, 2006

"We came, we saw...we kicked ITS ASS!"

(props to anyone who can tell me what movie that quote is from WITHOUT looking it up. About 200 cool points are on the line on this one...)

Ok, this just had to be blogged about...

In what can only be described as the greatest Cinderella team story since the Villanova Wildcats of 1985, Team Glen Hollow United(kinda gay name, I know, but Dan came up with it ages ago. We all don't even live in Glen Hollow, so it really doesn't make sense. I prefer GH United, as it sounds slightly more refined. Anyways, I digress...) soccer pulled off their SECOND playoff victory today!!! This is our first deep run into the playoffs, and considering we won our FIRST ever playoff game 4 days ago, this is just great news.

We played the Catholic Student Association soccer team, and let me tell you, they weren't being very Catholic, let alone Christian, in the contest. They pressured early with several shots, and from a quick through ball sent from the 18, they scored 10 minutes into the match. Unphazed, we bounced back quickly, scoring 2 goals within the next 10 minutes. The second half was even more heated, with CSA fouling more often and yelling very non-Christian words, haha. Adam Brown miraculously put a ball in the back of the net halfway through the second half. The ball was actually shot by dan from about 30 yards out, but the ball deflected off a defender, and Brown happened to be at the right place at the right time. In stride, he simply extended his left foot and the ball shot into the lower left corner. GOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!

Defensive-wise, we were solid. Trevor was back(had to miss last game due to class), and coupled with Dusty playing left fullback, we were a brick wall. Because of the guys in front of me, I didn't have to exert too much effort. There were a few balls I had to dive for, but they weren't super-dives(which are fun, as well as entertaining to watch). I also had to charge from my line on a few occasions, punching the ball out of play once and leaping to grab it the other times.

If you can believe it, there IS a downside to this whole affair. Our next playoff game is scheduled for SUNDAY AT 6:00pm. What the f#*@!?!?! Who schedules intramural games for Sunday afternoons?? Not only is this time just bizarre in its own rite, but it also happens to be during a hockey game I am scheduled to play. Under normal circumstances, I would call Richie in a heartbeat and ask him to reschedule the game, but since I have already done that to Richard once this semester, I don't think I can do that to him again. He has a hard enough time scheduling these games, and when they have to be re-scheduled, it's just a headache. My hockey game IS at 5:00 on Sunday, and they do usually last around an hour. If we can get done early, I can shoot on over across town to the intramural fields to join my teammates. I will already be stretched and primed for action, so it may even be good for me. Kyle, a fantastic player we drafted this year, has quite a bit of goalie experience, so it's looking like he will start in goal until I can get there. He's got a bitchin' shot, so once I get there, he can move to the front and start hammering away.

I go to get pre-advised tomorrow. Just wait until I tell you what classes I have to take next semester. Oh man, they are freakin' sweet. Next fall I think I can be officially called an aerospace engineering student. All engineering classes, no electives. It's gonna be fun, haha. I'll post my fall schedule on my next post.

The weather outlook has improved for tomorrow, so it's looking like round 2 of Dan/Adam vs. Henry/Trevor will commence as planned. Everyone of us has been dying to play all week, as the weather has been very summer-like. I can't wait to play tomorrow. At some point I'll try to get someone to take some pics, so we can show you how it's done :)

-H

No comments: