Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Y'all Come Back Now...Ya Hear!

Funny thing happened today. On my way back to work from my lunch break, I stopped at the Post Office in Nassau Bay, which is just across from JSC, to get some stamps. I pulled my Jeep into a parking space, and I noticed the parked van beside me had a Mississippi tag, a Washington Co. tag to be specific. I thought that was kind of funny, but didn't think much beyond that. I then strolled into the building and got in line. I wasn't in line for more than 3 minutes when this bald guy wearing a Hawiian shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals popped his head into the main post office room(where you get service). He talked as if he was calling out the winning BINGO number: "Anyone in here from Mississippi??"

After looking around for a second, I casually raised my hand and said, "I am."

The guy asked me if I was the one driving with the Madison license, and I confirmed his guess. He asked me if I lived here and what I was doing, and I told him. He then went on to tell me where he was originally from(Greenville) and what he's doing in Houston, now that he lives there. Then he left. All of that was in a 30-second span, if that. Then he told me to take care, and he was gone. Poof. Like that.

It just goes on to prove that Mississippi is home to some of the most friendly people on this Earth, and THAT'S why I love my(2nd) home state.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How Odd.

I had a similar situation here in DC, although I was playing the role of the Hawaiian wearing shirt dude, and the other chararcter was your evil twin I suppose!

Pulled into Home Depot behind another truck (cue banjo music) with Mississippi tags. Parked next to the guy, and asked what part of Mississippi he was from? He grunted "North Part!". I told him I lived and taught in Starkville at MSU, and missed the place... he grunted again "I went to 'Ole Miss", and walked away from me.

Evidence again that Mississippi University belongs on Pluto!

Cheers, Dick