Sunday, December 17, 2006

a change of scenery?

So about midway through last semester I had an interesting experience in my Vibrations class...

That day we didn't even begin the lecture, which was supposed to cover single degree-of-freedom free, undamped vibation, but that's beside the point. Instead, Dr. Newman, for one reason or another, decided to enlighten us with the work he does over at the ERC(Engineering Research Center).

To make a long blog short, Dr. Newman divulged that he does TONS of research with respect to ballistic missles, missle defense, and satellite-based missle defense. Maybe it was the way Dr. Newman relayed this information, or maybe it was the fact that he's a very down-to-earth kind of demeanor, or maybe it was the fact that I was excited that we weren't having a lecture, but I was COMPLETELY captivated by what he had to say. I walked away from that class that day(which lasted an extra half hour, but we didn't care) very very interested in the field of missle defense and its applications.

As a side note, ever since John got a job with....er....uhm....the government in a defense capacity, I've kinda wanted to do the same thing. Before graduating high school, I considered majoring in mathematics, as our government is one of leading employers of mathematicians, especially in the Department of Defense. I then switched to aerospace engineering(astronautics), which turned out to be a great decision, but I realized that I probably wouldn't be able to work where my bro worked. Now, however, I may not work in the same place or have the same job as my brother, but I could be working towards the same goal as his.

After some research, I found a place where I might be able to intern AND get some experience in the missle defense field. The locale: Arnold Engineering Development Center, right outside Tullahoma, TN and adjacent to the University of Tennessee Space Institute. These guys do some COOL stuff, including aerodynamic testing of pretty much every military or civilian spacecraft/aircraft created by the ole' U.S. of A., lots of rocket(solid and liquid) propulsion testing, AND missle defense technology, mainly in the areas of detection and recognition. Add that to the fact this place is the world's largest collection of flight test facilities, and you have an engineer's dream at this place. Even cooler, they tested the upper-stage liquid rocket engine of the Saturn-V(the J-2 engine) back in the Apollo days! With our nation returning to the moon in 2020, Arnold could very well be doing some testing once again for our government, as NASA is using basically the same architecture for the booster vehicle this time around.

So there you go. The application process to Arnold requires my resume, a 500-word essay on some topic, and my transcript. Then they notify me after the February deadline if I've been selected for an interview. After the interview, they let me know a month or two later if I've been accepted into their intern prgoram. As you can imagine, I've been hard at work on updating my resume here at home, and I'll begin the essay soon I'm sure. I'm gonna need references too, so Tarik and Eric, be expecting an email from me soon!

I would LOVE to work there next summer. Not only will it be a change of scenery from Houston, but it'll give me a broader range of experience AND I'll be near Nashville, one of my favorite cities in the country. Of course there are other great benefits, but I'm sure you can figure those out.

I'll try to keep you all updated on the various stages of my application process.

No comments: