Monday, December 18, 2006

god I love my team's front office

From Michael Silverman's article in the Boston Herald:

Has anyone else been wondering about the $51.11 million bid the Red Sox made – and now must pay the Seibu Lions — in order to gain exclusive negotiating rights with Daisuke Matsuzaka?We asked principal owner John Henry if there was anything behind that specific amount. We got an answer all right, a fascinating and totally unexpected one. Here’s his emailed response, in full:

“$51,111,111.11 actually.

“We assumed a few teams would try to blow all the other teams ‘out of the water.’ We didn’t know if that would represent 30, 40 or 50 million.

We also knew a couple of teams would have their eyes on luxury taxes as well (as) assuring themselves of six years of service. Therefore we estimated someone could potentially bid as much as $50,000,000 to assure success since they were doing so with no risk. And we thought that just to be sure they might decide to bid $51,000,000.

“We were not going to take any chances of losing Matsuzaka-san and were determined to top even that potential bid. And to ensure that our number could not be leaked, I was given the task of devising the final amount. (I thought (team president and CEO) Larry (Lucchino) was going to pass out when I told him the number as we were delivering it to MLB.)

“When we were attempting to purchase the Red Sox, I did not want my name thrown around in the media for quite some time. Therefore, all of the potential investors and bankers knew me only as “Investor 11.” We had extraordinarily good fortune in bidding for the team. In fact, at one point Mr. (Charles) Dolan had won the bidding before asking to purchase the entire club rather than the half that was originally for sale. We were lucky to win the bidding when the second bids were taken. So although I am decidedly not superstitious, I decided, for good luck, to throw in as many 11s as I could.
“I also felt good about another set of numbers. Matsuzaka-san and I were both born on the 13th of September.

That’s the story,

John

1 comment:

Tarik said...

20 says this kid loses his spot in the rotation by august.