Sunday, February 01, 2009

it's Mississippi State...NOT the University of Mississippi

Okay, I'm sorry. But it has become increasingly VERY frustating/annoying/aggravating to have people confuse Mississippi State and the University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss" as some call it). It's really not that hard, people.

I bring this up because although I have been at my job now for 8 months or so now, I'm still meeting new people there all the time. Most of them ask me where I went to school; my natural reply is, "Mississippi State University." The replies I get over 50% of the time (not an exaggeration):

-"Oh, that's in Oxford, right?"
-"Ah, the Rebels. Well, alright."

Or some variation. Now, normally I wouldn't be offended if these people lived in Washington state their whole lives. But almost all of these people have LIVED in the SOUTH their WHOLE lives. They've been around SEC football since they were toddlers. How do you NOT know the difference between Mississippi State and the University of Mississippi yet?! 

Like I said, if you haven't lived in this conference or part of the country for more than a year, I can understand missing the difference. Heck, I remember asking Mallory not too long ago if Christina went to Iowa State or the University of Iowa(yes, I know the correct answer now, Lex, no worries). But I have not lived in Big 10 country at any point in my life, so I'm exempt.

This all just really returns to the fact that people raised in this great state of Tennessee(yes, I love this place, not the school) are almost completely shut off from anything other than their beloved University of Tennesse in Knoxville. (Did you notice how I didn't say Tennessee State in Nashville? Using Tennessean logic, they are basically the same schools.) 

If something is colored orange, then they'll drool over it or buy the souvenir right then and there. They've never known anything else. Heck, I'm surprised they know any other schools exist outside of Florida.

Granted, not all the people that confuse my MSU with UM are Tennessee fans, but the ones I've met at work have all been. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Maybe not. Either way, it's annoying as hell. 

1 comment:

Christina said...

I nearly fell over when I saw a new post.

At least they get the state right after the fact. Often later in conversation I'm asked about "Idaho" or "Ohio." To which I reply, 'Well, we grow corn not potatoes, and F the Buckeyes."