Monday, October 31, 2005

Commander

Well the rest of the weekend was an incredibly fun time. As I mentioned last post, Mal and I dressed up as Dorothy and Scarecrow. I don't like to brag, but yeh, we looked awesome. Here are a few pics of us in costume...
If I only had a brain...

You dont get much more Oz-like than us

Unfortunately, this weekend had to end, and I flew out Sunday night after Mal and I had a nice sit-down dinner. The plane ride took for-ev-er. We had a 20 minute delay while they had to sort out the air field pattern from the air show that occurred. Then 1 hour into the flight, the pilot informed us that only the western runways were open, so we would have to fly AROUND the airport once to get in position to land. We land, and guess what: NO GATE is open. That meant a 30 minute delay! I felt bad because some people on my plane needed to connect to a flight, and they missed it by almost an hour. Nevertheless, I eventually made it back safely to my apartment.

Today I forgot that I had signed up to ride the Shuttle Motion Simulator this afternoon. If you don't know what the SMS is, it is basically the ultimate motion simulator for shuttle liftoff, ascent, and re-entry. It is the PRIME machine used for getting astronauts ready for real space work. Anyways, I was first up in our group, and after it was all said and done, the instructor said I was the best out of everyone :). I sticked the landing almost perfectly; I was only one meter off from the perfect landing position. Everyone else was off by at least 20 meters. My ground speed and sink rate, as well as my knots-equivalent-airspeed(or KEAS), were all within the acceptable bounds. As an added bonus for you all, I included the video of my landing the shuttle. It's about 2 minutes long, so give it time to download. The kind of bumpy part at the end is when I finally touch down. You can look outside the "windows" to see the landscape and scnerey change. The voice you hear for most of the video is the instructor. He is sitting in the Pilot's seat, and I in the Commander's seat. Also, the video was taken from behind me, and it IS a simulator, so the perfect conditions for videotaping are not there, but you can still see me and what I am doing. Enjoy!(give it about 3 minutes at a high speed connection to load)


I'll talk about the Red Sox GM woes next post :(

-H

No comments: