Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Ballin'

I now have in my posession a baseball signed by 2005 Hall of Famer Wade Boggs. He played for Boston for 10 years at 3rd base and as a DH. More info about him HERE.

You are probably asking how I came to get this ball.I shall explain.....

I am usually not a shy person when it comes to talking to random people. In fact, that's a trait all of us Horne children share. I'm pretty sure we get it from Dad; he could make a friend with anyone. Anyways...we're at the World Series, and Mal and I notice the guy behind us wearing a jacket with several World Series patches on it, from the last 3 years. We didn't say anything to the guy, but we did take notice. Later in the game, after an interesting play, the guy made a comment to me and Mal. That's all it takes for me, haha. We continued to talk throughout the rest of the game. The guy's name was Jeff, and I found out he worked for Mutual of Omaha. Turns out that MoO sends people to the World Series every year, and they attend a convention in the host city at that particular day. The guest speaker at the convention this year? You guessed it: Wade Boggs. Throughout the game, Jeff learned that we weren't huge Astros fans or anything; we just wanted to see a World Series game. We mentioned that the Red Sox were our team, and Jeff told us that his brother-in-law was a HUGE Sox fan, so he(Jeff) knew how we felt. With that bit of information being disclosed, Jeff told me he had 12 signed baseballs from Boggs, and that he'd like for me to have one. Of course, I graciously accepted the gift. The only problem was that the balls were at his hotel, the Hilton, in the west part of downtown. We couldn't make it that night, so Jeff was nice enough to leave it at the hotel front desk. That is where I picked up the ball tonight. Red Sox Nation here at JSC wants to see the ball, so I'm gonna show it off tomorrow.

My camera is at work for this project I am working on, so I don't have a picture of the ball. Rest assured I will get one soon for you.

Don't get me started on Theo. He plans to have a news conference tomorrow afternoon, so I'll see what he says, and I'll go from there next post.

Off to the store I go...

-H

No comments: