Sunday, May 21, 2006

So Long the Con of Man

Today was dreary(in Houston terms), so that means it was overcast and slightly on the windy side. I slept in late only to wake up as Eric and Jennifer were headed out to the Galleria to do some shopping. I opted to stay home and finish The DaVinci Code. I finished the book around 3:00, and shortly thereafter I received a call from my host; his car had broken down, and after two tries and jump-starting it, they had no luck. I was called in to pick them up. I made the voyage downtown, and after a minor ordeal with the tow guy, we returned to the house in my jeep.

We went to see the film adaptation of The DaVinci Code tonight, but it wasn't your usual movie-going experience. Instead, we opted for the Star Cinema Grill, which was pretty awesome, to say the least. You basically go in, and every other row of the theater has been removed and replaced by built-in-the-ground movie "trays." Waiters and waitresses come in and ask for your beverages(like your normal restaurant), and while they are retrieving your beverage you fill out an order card. Every food type is named after a part of the movie; it's kinda goofy, but it's also well done. The order card has every kind of food you want, and you just select what you want and when you want it. They bring you your drink(coke, water, any of a plethora of mixed drinks, tons of beer, many kinds of wine) and you give them the card. That's it. Throughout the movie you are brought everything, and they waiters are very unobtrusive. If you need anything extra, there is a small beacon button you can press to get extra service. Then they bring you your tab at the end of the show. It was all VERY cool.

Speaking of the show...the movie was pretty decent. Granted, there was SO much information in the book, so I can see how it would be difficult to translate all of it to the screen. Howard deleted a few things as well as do some parts COMPLETELY different from the book, but I can understand why. Despite the removal of several parts, the movie was a solid 2.5 hours. VERY long. The movie did stay true to many parts of the movie, though, which is rare for the book-to-film conversions you see today. I've been told to read Angels and Demons next, so I guess I will have to continue this whole reading-for-fun thing :(

Yankees at Red Sox starts tomorrow, baby. Will is going to the game, as well as a co-worker of mine. How they get these tickets I will never know. Colin has tickets to the Rangers game at Fenway on my birthday; he has stated he is going to make a "happy birthday" sign for me to display on NESN. You hear that, Will? Set your TiVO for June 11 :)

No comments: