Monday, February 13, 2006

A Dog's Love

I think it is safe to say that many times we forget that animals are living, breathing creatures, and that they, especially dogs, grow attached and more than likely develop a sincere bond of love with their masters or caretakers. That attachment is no more readily apparent than with my own two dogs, Greta and Grace, or should I say, my Mom's two dogs. My brother-in-law had G&G for several years since their birth, and when they first met my mom in summer of 2003, they had no clue who she was; they still followed Richard on a whim and were with him every day all day. Slowly, as my mom began to care for them and be their "Nana," as my mom calls herself in relation to the dogs, G&G started to develop that bond that they had created between them and Richard. Now, whenever you visit my house, you will notice that my(or mom's) dogs follow my mom's every footstep. They react to her voice. They react to her movement. When she's upset, they are quiet and somber; when she is lively, they are verbose(with yelps and barks). When mom sits down in the living room chair, they are usually within mere inches of her feet. If mom is walking to the kitchen, they look at each other, decide that she isn't coming back, and begin to follow her right on her heels.

The point of this isn't to show how obedient and cute my dogs are(although they are every bit of those two adjectives). Rather, it was to show that that love bond between master(Nana) and dog is as real as the computer on which you are reading this post.

That bond exists between my family and our dogs, and it definitely existed between Trevor and his dog Holmes, who unfortunately had to be put to sleep this past weekend due to increasing eye problems and renal failure that occured over just the past few days. Jay-Jay, Trevor's other dog, experienced the same problems before he eventually had to be put to sleep months later(last year). Trevor and his family agreed that they didn't want to put Holmes through that much pain if she didn't have to experience it. The decision was hard for the Acy's, and I am sure it was especially hard for Trevor.

I was friends with Trevor in Grenada when he found Holmes. She was evidently beaten her whole life(at that point, about 2 or 3 years), her body was emaciated, and she was very thirsty and hungry. Trevor took in the dog, who looked to have some pitbull in her, and within a year, Holmes was jumping in Trevor's backyard and loving her new life with him. I can say that I too grew very attached to the dog, and every time I visited Trevor's house, be it in Grenada or Madison, I always made a point to play with Holmes or sit beside her on the floor while we watched tv. She could easily bring a smile to the face of anyone at anytime on any day.

Trevor and his family drove up to Greenwood this weekend to bury Holmes right beside Jay-Jay.

Sometimes we forget that our animals will eventually die, and chances are good that we will outlive the pets we have. It pains me just writing this post. Holmes was a central part of the Acy household, and the Acys are almost an extension of my family, so it is as if one of my own dogs has passed away. Holmes will be greatly missed.

You could not help but love this dog.

Yet, somehow, someway, be it by coincidence, or what I believe to be the Big Man up there hard at work, there is a silver lining to this somber set of circumstances. I warn you beforehand, though, that it is very graphic to begin with...

Trevor's step-grandfather's son(stay with me) was driving along a backroad highway last week, and he ended up behind a moderately moving truck. Before too long, Trevor's step-grandfather's son(we'll just call him Ben, as I have forgotten his true name) sees something thrown out of the cabin of the truck as the truck is going along the road. Upon quick inspection, Ben realizes that a SMALL DOG was just THROWN FROM THE TRUCK. Now, Ben(as well as I, or any other human person) would have followed the trucker until he stopped, gotten out of his vehicle, walked over to the man, and beat the SHIT out of him. Fortunately for us, though, Ben knew that the rescue of the dog was more important in the immediate timeframe. He stopped his vehicle near where the dog was thrown, found him, picked him up, and got his wounds taken care of at the vet. Thankfully, a broken leg was all that the dog suffered. It could have been much worse.

The dog, named Jill by Trevor's relatives, is now doing the normal things puppies should be doing. Trevor's mom was able to snap some shots of the dog...

Isn't she CUTE?!! Notice the cast on her back foot due to her broken leg.


I do believe she has some Bernese Mountain Dog in her.


Come on!! She just begs to be held!!

There is a good chance that Trevor and the Acys may end up taking this dog into their own care. It's not a guaranteed thing, but it is a definite possibility. It turns out that the end of one dog's life may very well have been balanced the rescue and subsequent survival of another.

Keeping this dog theme going(again, it is interesting that these events all took place now), the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is starting tomorrow! Yes, that's right; it is two days of some beautiful dogs strutting their stuff in Madison Square Gardens. I can't wait. Mom and I will again be cheering for the Bernese Mountain Dog. Unfortunately, I have a game on Tuesday night, so I will miss the 2nd night of the show, but I will be able to see my favorite breeds on Monday.

and with that, I bid you all a good night.

-H

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I just had to send this to my mom. She said she cried, but in the good way. Appreciate it buddy.