Sunday, June 12, 2005

20

Ahh yes. We all knew this day would eventually get here.

I have finally left the friendly confines of my teenage years, and I have welcomed with open arms the beginning of the roaring twenties.

But two decades?! Are you kidding me? Jeez...Back in the Medieval ages I'd be pratically an old wiseman. Now, today, I'm considered to be just hitting my prime. According to research and well-known facts, the next 10 years of my life will be the apex of my all-around well being. I'll be the smartest of my lifetime. I'll be the strongest of my lifetime. I'll be the fastest of my lifetime. I'll be the best looking of my lifetime(I'm in no way saying I'm attractive or lauding my appearance. I'm simply stating what is already known: that you are the most attractive during your twenties)....so on and so forth.

Twenty?!?! Jeez...

All that information is hard to belive, but it's true. After my twenties, it's all downhill(not like I'd be almost dead, but in reference to the previous paragraph, I'll be no where near those levels after I turn 30).

So the way I see it, I should do everything I possibly can in the next decade. (Again, I'm not saying I'll be completely immobile and helpless after 30, but I just want to do stuff while I'm in the best condition to do so). When I have the oppurtunity to do something, I'm gonna do it. There's no real point in saying NO to something when I know deep down that I might not ever have a chance to do it again. So if you thought I was active and did all kinds of things in my teenage years....oh boy, you ain't seen nothing yet.

So that brings us back to right now, my birthday. Actually it's around 1:00 am on Sunday, so my birthday is over. However, it has been one of the best already. Read my previous post about the gift mom and dad got me...it's un-freakin-believable. I LOVE IT.

Originally, Mal was going to take me to the Memphis Zoo today for my birthday. However, hurricane Arlene(or whatever her name is) decided she wanted to crash the midsouth this weekend. Needles to say, we ditched that idea. So I was kinda bummed about that...until she mentioned that she had two days off this weekend and suggested I come to Paris instead. BRILLIANT! I quickly packed my bags and on Friday, right after class, I drove up here as fast as I could. Friday night, Mal treated me to dinner and a movie(Mr. and Mrs. Smith) for my bday. No surprise here, but we had a good time...I mean, we hadn't seen each other for about 2 months; how could we NOT have a good time? In addition to food and flick, Mal got me this AWESOME picture by Norman Rockwell. It's a great drawing, showing three different scenes from baseball. The first scene, on the left, is the locker room of the BOSTON RED SOX as they are preparing for the game. The right scene is the dugout of the CHICAGO CUBS as they prepare for the game. The central pic is of the umpires, looking into the sky to determine if the weather is good enough to play. (I included parts of the drawing below as pictures). The illustrations are great, and I cannot wait to frame this bad boy right above my bed. Oh yeh, and another thing. Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs. The last time those two teams played each other? The 1918 World Series. The winner of the Series? Boston Red Sox. They had not met in 87 years until THIS WEEKEND. That's right. The two teams are playing a 3 game set in Chicago THE WEEKEND OF my 20th birthday, and THE WEEKEND I got a drawing that displays both teams getting ready to play. How (sorry for my language) FUCKIN' cool is that?!? So that's a neat little story to tell when people ask about my picture as they enter my room :)

"Root, root, root for the Cuuuu-bies"

"Let's go Reee-d Sox, Let's go! *Clap* *Clap*"
Mal also got me some schnazzily decorated cd's, as well as an Eyore glass for drinking. Why Eyore? Just ask me someday...it's a long story. Let's just say this increases my Eyore collection of items.

So Satruday rolled around, and of course, I was excited. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to receive any phone calls from my parents and siblings. Why? Because Cingular doesn't cover Henry County........yet. Next week they plan to have the towers up and running, and that means this summer I'll be able to use my phone here in Paris!....anyway, I couldn't get calls from my family, but I did get a notice on my phone that I have 3 voicemails waiting on me. That brought a smile to my face. They couldn't get in touch, but they left a message anyway :) So I am very much looking forward to listening to those voicemails.

Tomorrow, Mal is being a gem once again(see a pattern here?). She is going to watch Star Wars Episode I, Episode II, AND Episode III with me. We'll start the first two around noon. Then we'll get some grub, and we'll head over to the theater to see Episode III. I mean, com'on. How (again, sorry) FUCKING cool is that?!

Then, Monday morning, I'll leave around 5:30 to head back to Starkville, JUST in time for Art Appreciation. WHEW! Wild weekend, eh?

Well I am tired, and I know YOU are from reading this post. I need my rest before tomorrow's Starwarsathon.

May the force be with you,
Henry of Twenty


No comments: