Sunday, January 30, 2005

Disc Golf, Resident Evil, and more

hello again...been a few days since we last talked, wasn't it?

Well the weekend is going just fine so far. Friday night Jason and I continued to expand our culinary experience by eating out at another restaurant. This week's choice was ZIO's , a fabulous Italian resataurant. They told us we'd have a wait of about 30 minutes, but we ended up only needing 10. I had a nice plate of angel hair pasta with shrimp, covered in this nice sauce. And the bread...OH, the bread...it was fabulous. The only better bread could be at 15th & Olive in Murray, KY(that's mine and Mal's special place to eat). So that was fun.

I then had the urge after dinner to watch Apollo 13. I know, I know, I'm a dork, but I really wanted to see all the people and places in the movie, and compare them to what I have seen already at NASA Johnson. As luck would have it, NO ONE in this frickin area has Apollo 13 on dvd. I didn't really wanna buy it, at least not yet. I even went to this local video store that DID happen to have it on dvd, but in order to start an account there, you have to have a Texas license. WTF!?!? What the hell is the difference?!? I was so mad, and the girl there was being a real ass about it, so I just left. So I am still on the lookout for Apollo 13 on dvd. Another movie on dvd that I am looking for is SpaceCamp, but it looks as if I will have to order that one online.

Today, Jason and I went to a big ass disc golf course. It was located at the Tom Bass park, and it is also the location of last year's Texas State Championships of disc golf. That made it all the more fun. The course was huge, and some holes were as long as 650 feet. Jason was beating me by 5 strokes when we got to hole 14(I made some careless errors on the previous holes, and Jason was just unstoppable). However, around hole 15 I began my resurgence. Jason kept missing, and I kept making the shots. We were all tied at 72 when we got to hole 18. Jason beat me by one stroke on that hole, so the final scores were 77(me) and 76(jason).

Tonight I bought Resident Evil 4. I had been looking forward to this game for some time now. I think it was announced as long ago as E3 2003. Anyway, I'm only just getting into the game, and I'm intrigued. Not much of a story to go on so far, but all the RE games are like that. You are given some inciting action, and the story follows. The play mechanics are without a doubt superior to any RE game before it. The ability to aim at any body part(and that body part react when hit) is truly a welcome addition. The camera doesn't seem to be that bothersome either, with the whole behind-the-shoulder view a la Splinter Cell. It works rather well. Item management is also kinda cool; each item takes up a "block", and you can rearrange the items so that they take up less space in a certain row. It's really neat. Graphically, the game is second to none. Everything from the character models to the environment to the explosions is beautfully rendered. The only problems I have encountered so far are some clipping issues, but that's a minor squabble. The game is great so far, and I will have an official review of it as soon as I complete it.

Well tomorrow we will do our usual Sunday disc golf at the local park with Richard(the guy that runs it). I love the weekend so much more now that I have a job. Sleep is SO much more enjoyable, haha.

No comments: