Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Final Dress Rehearsal

As planned, Jason and I went out to the Friendswood sand courts this afternoon around 5. They weren't as gorgeous as the League City courts, but these were still nice. There were three of them, and they were all ours. We practiced for about 2 hours; we warmed up, worked on serving, then tried bum/set/spike drills. The last drill is what really makes you better:

Facing the back line, Jason would "serve" the ball from the net to me, where I waiting at an angle from the server about 5 feet from the back line. I'd bump it back to him in a controlled angle, he'd either get under it or bump-set it towards the net with loft, and then I'd go in for the spike or dink. We are still trying to get the perfect set. That's when the ball is about 3 feet above the net just as I jump to hit it. We switched out every 3 tries. We got it about 2 or 3 times; the other hundred tries were somewhat off. Either way, though, we got better.

As we were about to leave, two guys came up to the courts with their own ball; they looked like they knew how to play. Sure enough, they began the same drills we did(I learned from the guys at League City), and they looked good doing them. They asked if we wanted to play, but we were already worn out; however, we are gonna play them tomorrow around that time(7pm-ish). I think we'll put up a good fight, but these guys looked really sharp on the court. They were pretty cool, though, from what I ascertained in the short conversation with them. At the very least, they'll be able to teach us alot and show us what we're doing wrong. Besides, you ONLY get better by playing people better than you are(no matter the sport). I'm looking forward to tomorrow...it should be fun.

Sox are down by 2 right now to the D-rays, who seem to be resurgent all of a sudden...

Andy Roddick is down a set now to some dude from Luxemburg...what's up with that?

-H

No comments: