Wednesday, March 23, 2005

More baseball....and volleyball?!?

Well I went to the game yesterday. It was fun. The team lost, but Eric and Frank did a good job of coaching. I forgot how serious kids take games at that age, haha.

I was able to attend this lecture today in Historic Mission Control from Sy Liebergot. You prolly don't know him, but he's rather important. He was an EECOM flight controller during most of the Apollo missions to the moon, including Apollo 13. He was THE guy in the middle of the accident; he was portrayed by Ron Howard's bald brother in the film(watch the movie, and you'll see him). Sy was the one that told Jim Luvvel and the crew to stir the oxygen tanks...which led to the short, which led to the explosion. Sy was also THE guy that said the crew better move to the LEM(lunar exploration module) in order to stay alive. So yeh, this guy was pretty important. He had all kinds of pictures in his presentation. One in particular was very eerie: he had a panoramic shot from the back of Mission Control about 3 minutes prior to the accident. You can see Jack Swigert on one of the big projector screens as the crew is doing a live feed to the ground. VERY cool photo. Sy basically took us through the timeline of the accident, from liftoff to splashdown. It was the best lecture to-date in my opinion.

I think I'm gonna try to start playing some outdoor volleyball as soon as I kick this cold. I saw some courts at the sports complex last night, and they were nice. I'm sure all kinds of people play on the weekends, so I may try to walk-on. I figure that I can fully exploit my height in this sport.

Well with that I'm out. Good night!


Here's the view from our seats we got for the Sox-Rangers game. Niiice, aren't they?

No comments: